29 Jan 2010

Jeffery Lewis, you're king of all this shit.

Jeffery Lewis has been in my consciousness for a few years freshly sharing his soul and being awesome at just about everything he does. I've mentioned him briefly before on this blog, but I thought he deserved his own shrine of love or fandom or perverse longing to climb inside of his head and control him like a Malkovich puppet (or vice versa). Call it what you will.

Although I haven't quite found my niche here in NYC, it's comforting to think that Mr. Lewis is perusing the Brooklyn zine shops, sipping expensive espresso, or whatever it is genius artists do here. Maybe this town deserves as many second chances as I can physically give it. His video for 'Williamsburg Will Oldham Horror' makes me wish I took public transportation perchance I should run into him and mirror his experiences and questions with Bonnie "Prince" Billy...without the humping.


The video for 'To be Objectified' had to go up as well to demonstrate both his eloquent lyrics and his amazing illustration. If you take a passing glance you might mistake his repetitive strumming for any other ripped jeans wearing street minstrel, but that would be to cheat yourself of his poetic wordplay. His lyrics are hilarious, contemplative, and aptly eloquent at describing feelings that every person with feelings has from time to time. You know, like how old people are rotting children.

Don't be afraid to poke around his other youtube vids. There's nothing wrong with falling in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment