10 Oct 2009

Berlin: City of Smoke



How much do I the public library? Let me count the ways. 1.IT'S FUCKING FREE! 2. It was brought to the Land of the Free, Home of the Brave (LOTFHOTB) by Ben Franklin, a stellar American. 3. The selection of graphic novels is usually infinite especially if you have the foresight to request an item online. You don't even have to be dressed for that.

On my last excursion I picked up a bevy of beauts including Berlin: City of Smoke by Jason Lutes. The illustrations are simply amazing. His line work and shading of the character's faces are tip top. If you take the time to check out the preview pdf I am sure you will agree, Mr. Lutes is a line wizard. I took the liberty to pinch/blatantly plagiarize a few of his drawings in the hopes that maybe some of his expression expertise would osmosis-ize it's way into my pen. As Mike Schank says 'American Movie' "you can't make up your own ideas..they have to come from somewhere." Above are my attempts.

Along with 'Berlin: City of Smoke' I also picked up The Beats, A Graphic History. The writing is pretty engaging (but when you're writing about the Beat generation it'd be hard not to be) and the illustrations are varied and captivating. I would have to say Jeffery Lewis's drawings were a high point for me. His detailed depiction of the Williamsburg bridge from below made me wish I could do city scapes. Maybe I'll try that osmosis thingy again though I am pretty doubtful of the success.

No comments:

Post a Comment